Redesign
Perception: Although bright colors tend to attract most readers eyes, they also tend to very annoy if over used in certain designs. The English department flyers are a great example of overuse bright colors. I have walked past those flyers many times and not once have I really paid attention to the information being presented to me; this is why I decided to redesign this flyer. The original flyer made mostly words and a picture of the English building tower, which doesn’t grab anyone’s attention and doesn’t need to on the flyer at all.
To assume that every student on campus knows that the picture in the corner was tower on the English building would be a false assumption, since not all Texas Tech students will take a class in the English building. If the original flyer design was posted anywhere else on campus most students would not even attempt to read the flyer. Keeping this in mind, I decided to remove the picture of the English building tower and replace it with a fairly large picture of one of the movie posters with the title of the movie right above it. I wanted the reader to first focus on the picture and then slowly move their eyes to the rest of the information on the page.
Culture: Our culture, college students, loves to get something for nothing but we also know that not everything is “Free” and that some things advertise come with a catch. When I first saw the flyer I thought I would have to pay to see the movie. The original design doesn’t not clearly state that this was a free monthly event put on by the department of English, which is usually followed by a public discussion.
By putting this information at the top of the page, it lets the reader know two things: that this event is free and is put on once a month. I choose to put the information about Dr. Allison Whitney introducing the movie and the public discussion afterwards because they are related as one tells the reader what will happen at the beginning and at the end of the event.
Contrast: The first thing I wanted to get rid of the bright background because it’s hard to read as well as distracts the reader. Next I wanted add so contrast to the flyer since the lettering in the original design was bold. Since the reader, Texas Tech students, is familiar with Red and Black I decided to add these colors as the border for the flyer.
Proximity: The information for this event on the original flyer was all over the place, so I chose to group the event and the English department together to show how the event and where it was being held were related. I brought the information about Dr. Allison Whitney closer the body as well as added “*” and italics to let the reader know that the extra information below is just as important as the information above it.

Clearly, Porshea, the movie film selection flyers are quickly produced. The films are not widely advertised because we select films and documentaries that can not, often, be widely advertised without paying for the rights to do so. Still, these flyers are posted around the building every month, and if there were a template, much like the flyer you produced, it could be used just as efficiently. Some notes on your template design:
ReplyDelete- generally, all graphics should have a border
- work on right aligning the top text with the right of the image
- topic text, "free film selection of the month" should be a smaller font, perhaps gray, to not competed with the title of the film
- consider overlapping the title with the graphic to create a unified effect
- don't need the comma after "This 2006 documentary
- could combine Date and Time to just When: 6pm, Saturday March 5th
- how about a double-T or some graphic indicating who is sponsoring it?
- need a period after discussion
- could use more font text chunking with attention to sizes of the text
Grade available in Moodle; consider revising for your ePortfolio.
Dr. Rice
Porshea emailed me her picture for the 2/20 post. Please also post it into your blog when you can. Looks like a rollergirls weekend. On the picture itself, you put the ticket over some denim jeans. That must be symbolic of something. Interesting.
ReplyDelete