For my fourth re-design I decided to re-design the logo for boxing gym in Austin called Austin Boxing Babes. I found this logo while checking out local boxing gyms around my friend’s neighborhood in Austin, Texas. The website can be found at: http://www.austinboxingbabes.com . I noticed in the original design that the main focus was centered around the picture of the cartoon boxer not on the name of gym. The picture of the cartoon boxing as the main focus felt kind of impersonal able as well as hard to relate to. I wanted to keep the picture, so that current or future member could see themselves as that person in the picture after working out at the gym. I did that by shrinking the picture to take emphasis on the women and have the attention of the reader focused on something else. Since this gym is only for women I wanted to use a symbol that everyone would recognized or notice from a distance. I choose the Venus symbol since it’s known around the world as the universal symbol for women.
While redesigning this logo I decided that my audience was mostly women in the Austin area that was into or at least interested in boxing. That is why inserted the name of the gym within the women’s symbol to further emphasis that this particular gym was for women only. I also used the women symbol to attract women of the feminist movement since this symbol is very popular in that culture, which can be seen on this website: http://www.jofreeman.com/photos/MissAm1969.html . The only difference between this design and my logo is the picture of the women with the middle of the women’s picture. Before considering going with this design I did acknowledge that it may also turn away so women who are not as enthusiastic about the radical women’s rights discussed in the link above, but I was will to take the risk of losing a few potential members in hopes of creating an effective and recognizable design.
As for color I decided to keep is simple with red lettering to match the color of the gloves and a black/white background to match the drawing of the women in the middle of the women symbol. While creating the re-design I had thought of adding pink to re-design but I didn’t want the audience to confuse it as a symbol for breast cancer not women’s boxing.
For this redesign I really wanted to do a play on words and symbols to create a logo that displayed how the Austin Boxing Babes is only for women in the surrounding area of Austin. With this re-design I think I was able to utilize all aspects of rhetoric, which was the ethos, pathos, and logos. This logo re-design was done just for fun and I really enjoyed re-designing this logo for the Austin Boxing Babes. I’ve never met the owner of the gym but I’m playing on showing my re-design to her the next time I’m in Austin.
AfterBefore


Good ideas about symbols, like the venus symbol, but you don't talk specifically about perception, culture, and rhetoric. Need to work on using the language of design in your descriptions. The Before is a lot more readable than the after, in part because red on black does not contrast well. If, for instance, the text were not over the black, or if it were a different color, like white, your logo would resonate more. The angel of the text, too, is different than that of the circle.
ReplyDelete